Stat

Saturday 20 February 2010

Natural Hair, Healthy skin?

Hey all,

It is hard for me to believe that this week was half term. Teaching Yr6 means that there is no such thing as a holiday until the SAT's are done ... :( I spent the week marking / assesing  180 test papers and STILL have to complete a results chart). I marked my final paper last night at 8pm!

To celebrate, sort of, I attended a reunion with my long time girlfriends to celebrate a 39th birthday, my oldest (longest friendship) of 33 years ... SNM! it was a good night, lots of pics and great music (our music)! I breezed in at dawn and awoke my lovely eldest son up off the sofa to go to his bed!

Needless to say I am absolutely shattered, All I could manage for the whole day was a long shower and hair wash, and I mean loooong! Yes I said HAIR WASH!

Last Tuesday I had my ninth retight ... Liz told me she would be having the next training session in April and that I could attend ...

Prior to that,  I notice a change in my locks, a big change. they are and feel fuller, thicker, longer and a large percentage LOC'D!!!! yeah I said it! Loc'd! Loc'd, Loc'd, Loc'd!!!!! at last! ( big smile!)
Now I know my hair, the minute I mention the word, it begins to unravel and do the opposite to what I said. BUT I don't care! No matter what happens I will carry on retightening and go on and on, and if all I achieve is a mass of half sisterlock, half curly hair then that is ALL GOOD to me, at least it is my NATURAL hair and I love it either way and there will be no turning back!

Things I have done differently over the last month, ummm ... slept one night without covering my locs ( found it irritating ) No braidouts at all, wash at 5 weeks. Actually, I don't miss regular hair washes anymore!
Loc's are a law to themselves, I had a retight and I thought that my hair would shrink once washed, It hasn't,  it literally appears longer today than yesterday! Yes I did some pics, but decided to leave them until my 9th ... next Sunday, maybe.

My friends have commented on how much my hair has grown, I have had a couple of fingers at work wanting to 'cop a feel' and play with my curls, and even Mizz C with the long traditionals, confessed to feeling a little loc envy one Sunday in church! (smile)
There is something so free and liberating about being loc'd. I love the process and the progress.

Skin deep issues ...

Many people may not agree with me as we are all different, and maybe my body is changing and my hormones too.
However, I truly believe that loc'ing my hair has healed my acne problem, I know it is not just the use of African Black soap, even though it has helped to heal my skin.
Those hair products that I would use, shampoos, hair oils, chemical treatments, weaves and braids, I feel, have been a major contributor.
In the last 2 months, I have also not had one single 'hormonal' breakout, which is normally a sign of the onset of my cycle ... so was it really hormonal? or was there something else contributing? I know I cannot prove it, but I know how I feel and what I see ... I may have been reacting to something I no longer use.
as mentioned before in my blog I have batttled for many years with my skin, the last year being the worst. I know that stress has been a major issue for me during that time, but that has not been the main factor.
A general thank you to all of you out there who show an interest and find my journey interesting or useful, please leave a comment as your opinion is valued :)

3 comments:

Bajan Lily said...

Congratulations on marking all those papers :) and for the improvements in your skin.

Just felt I should comment because it can be lonely sometimes - baring your heart to 'the world' without response.

I do follow your journey and I do enjoy your updates (and scriptures).


all the best

Nai said...

Hey Bajan Lily thank you for your time, while you still have time, as I see you will be VERY busy soon :)

I admit though, that I too can be a bit reluctant at commenting sometimes,

I put the devotionals/scriptures on the other page and reorganised so info can be found quickly on here.

All the best to you too, 2 little ones under 2!!! been there, done that!!! :)

Bajan Lily said...

Been there, done that ? How did you cope?

Seriously - any advice you have I will treasure because I'm TERRIFIED!