Stat

Saturday 30 August 2014

Mature Sisterlocks - maintenance, routines, fine locks, lint and loose ends.

Hey fellow lock bloggers,

I know! Its ridiculous, I only managed ONE post this last month and I was on summer break! It took me at least a week to complete as I was doing so many other things. I would start and stop and so I forgot to upload product images.
The Truth that is Knotty asked if I was still product testing, I don't  as much anymore because I know what works for me. I keep checking out good products as I am always aware that stuff can be discontinued and that is annoying. I check reviews and availability on Amazon as I like it if products can be delivered as opposed to me going out shopping ;)



I thought I would produce a list for my simple routine.
Routine...

1. Reti via consultant Liz.

2. Reti myself once or twice a year depending on her availability.

3. Wash, shampoo only - I do not condition. My shampoos are volumising to increase body and moisturising.

4. I simply braid wet or leave alone (straight).

5. I use Taliah Wajid healing oil or Monoi oil from the Body Shop or a home special blend of olive oil with essential oils added. Not a lot, just enough to alleviate any slight dryness which is not often.

6. I use Kiehls amino acid shampoo as my first shampoo (main ingredient coconut oil) which my locks adore. then shampoo with I use Olio di Argan  Nourishing shampoo. I was unaware that this product is also sulphate free ...




Loose ends ...

I read somewhere that if you use a moisturising or nourishing shampoo you are really conditioning it.
I guess there is a truth in that as the moisture agents used have a conditioning affect.
The evidence of this  can be seen as the ends of my locks are becoming loose, which does not bother me really. I no longer suffer from dry dehydrated locks. In fact this year has been a a warm one for the south of UK (which is a very pleasant change).

Brushing ... 

Again paying homage to the Knotty Truths Blog  http://therealknottytruth.blogspot.co.uk ...  as it was under her guidance that I have managed to avoid lint and build up in my locks, not to say I am totally lint free, but I do pay a LOT of attention to the ends of my locks and am weary about fluffy stuff and weary of a general dusty house. I do not have carpet in the majority of the house and dust can build up. I have purchased a few good hair brushes, soft bristle which I find very effective, but beware, they can also help looses locks, especially if you have soft hair, even if your locked, your hair still has its characteristics I have found ...
For further guidance on brushing and lint prevention please read Knotty Truths Blog  http://therealknottytruth.blogspot.co.uk ...

Shopping ...


These products were purchased from a variety of stores.


TKmaxx is my product shopping fave as it has many obscure brands of shampoo that are little known. I use MakeUpAlley as a directory to check reviews of a product and then price check against Amazon prices to ensure I am getting a good deal.
My current fave shampoo Phytorelax Olio di Argan shampoo is only sold in the USA on amazon and sold only in the UK through TKmaxx ... so I bought as MANY as I could.

The UK TKmaxx though is very inconsistent with pricing and what I pay in North London I could pay double when I am in the South of London. I complained because I don't know why they think this is ok? Anyway they have already been challenged about their pricing on a TV show this year. They need to start listening ...

Than you for reading, I know your out there and hope you find this information useful.




3 comments:

KnottyAuthor said...

Ahhhh this is nice, thank you. I'm so glad I can help. You encourage me to leave the posts up from year 1.

Nai said...

Hey, no problem at all :) and thank you too! I tried to click on that link but it didn't work, now I know why :)

KnottyAuthor said...

http://theknottytruthcontinues.blogspot.com #update