Stat

Friday 15 June 2012

Three years SisterLocked Secrets, I did it my way. Why the products Nai?

Hey all at home today because a visit to the dentist has left me out of action.

I have been thinking about this post for a while and one thing I will cover is my experimenting with products and reveal my top (maybe forever?) products.

Yes I know that having Sislocs is suppose to reduce the need. However, I found that I wanted my locks to be in a certain condition. Ultimately, our hair is still unique and we all need something different.

FIRST, What is it I am looking for, (or why the junkie)?





Well I had fine hair naturally, so locs were not originally voluminous. I mean each strand was thin, Loc pattern 4,  the tightest, to help locking process. We tried pattern 3 but most would slip easily. See earlier posts. Some shampoos exacerbated the thin flat look.

So first off I will talk about why I still use products with SLS in them.


Sodium Laureth Sulphate.

I have used so many prods with and without this chemical, but really I was not that convinced that the results were any better. I was not surprised to read Natural Haven's latest post confirming my suspicions

http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/

Please read for yourselves. She found that not all non SLS substitute chemicals were exactly better than SLS. So it is a case of study to find the best ... I actually knew that it was not as simple as it seemed. Now do not get me wrong, I am not saying I am for SLS I am just not for being conned by these companies is all.

In saying all of that I will announce all my staple products with and without SLS.

 1. Kiehls Amino Acid.

Top of the charts and It is SLS free. What can I say about it? Well it has all the qualities I need, basically does what
It says on the bottle! It's moisturising, gentle, softening and best of all volumising, making my locks look fuller and fluffier and feel lovely. Not cheap, but neither am I! So worth it! The price came down a bit but it was originally £17.50 it lasts a long time, and i wash my locks often.

I believe in the process of alternating shampoos to reap the best results. I found this has worked for me.














2. Bicarbonate of Soda shampoo.

http://ofoslocs.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/baking-soda-shampoo-and-vinegar.html

This is a recipe I got via Ofo's blog. It is a very good one, for me it works really well. I have a bottle sitting on the bathroom window sill. I use it whenever I feel that it needs a clarifying. I can't use too much though as I find it can be drying.



3. DAX Vegetable Oil Shampoo.


If I had not found Kiehls then this would be THE one as for £2.50 it is brilliant! A great softening clarifying shampoo that DOES NOT strip the hair. Really good value for money. Very effective. SLS ...






4. LUSH.

Ok I have tried and loved almost everything LUSH. Why? Because there is something about the way they mix their products that, in my opinion, works perfectly on locked hair, I find it hard to say which I love the most, alternating them as I do they all do what I need them to. Now that I have discovered their solid soaps, I think they are fab! They are very affordable, £5 or £6 pounds but last for up to 80 washes, if you take care of them. Yes SLS, but they feel so gentle, soft and with no irritation.

Top of the solids is Godiva, (yellow solid) shampoo jasmine scented with cocoa butter to condition, instant results! A close second is Karma Komba, green. Smells soo good, so so good!
Both give hair good body!


Note: my method is to use either Bicarbonate shampoo or DAX as a base clarifier first and then one of my faves for the second and or subsequent washes.

CONDITIONERS.

I can't do them! I do not do well with them as I just don't rinse enough or I don't have a strong enough shower hose. Either way, they seem to build up. So another reason for my quest to find suitable products. My search is for a water based conditioning product, non creamy, leave in type. My staple is and was from the start,

1. PAUL MITCHELL AWAPUHI MOISTURE MIST.

From the moment I read a recommendation for this product as a newbie, I knew it was right for me. It is perfect. Again pricey in the eyes of some, circa £15 for 500ml.
But I use this over and over and my Locs drink it like water, even better when I rub a little oil in after. I even spritz in a little before bed in dry areas,




The SisterLock moisturiser is good too but not as effective as the Awapuhi.

I like 2Arosci leave in conditioner too, but I am suspicious that it has contributed to a rise in whitish specks of build up in my locks. Again though, a great product, very moisturising and softening. I have had to spray it in my hands rub them and then add it to my hair to avoid this possibly negative effect.

COLOUR.

As you can tell, dry locs are not on my desirable list. It's all about moisture and softness. So one thing I did not do over the last 3 years was colour my locks.
I knew that I would have problems with my hair and dryness if I did. I know a lot of people have grey hair they want to cover so I understand, I feel I benefitted over the years to just leave them alone.

WASHING MY LOCKS.

My guilty pleasure, from the start. I stated my penchant for water running over my scalp,
I'm a washing addict, actually it's a whole bath, shower, swimming, water thing. It chills me out, especially though washing my hair.
Of course that encourages me to add to the experience by introducing different scents and sensations. So I am an addict, a true beauty addict. It's not just my hair but I do all things skincare, did I ever mention that I qualified as a beautician?
So there you have it. The motives behind my madness. I think I found
What I need for now, but it is difficult because I live in the UK and our weather system and atmosphere means that some things work seasonally so again I need to alternate.


Nai ... LOVING this locked life ... x

No comments: