Stat

Sunday 30 May 2010

One Year on ... Observations. 10 facts about my locs.

I am enjoying the beginning of the half term holiday which this year includes a bank holiday.
I began by a well earned pamper, washing my lovely locs. Big deal? Well, read about my previous hair issues and that will explain. :)

Todays blog is about the state of my locs at 12 months. Here goes ....

Over the last few months, since the arrival of the British version of 'spring' , my locks are noticebly DRY!

As a product junkie, I was prepared and retrieved my baskets of goodies. I read labels over and over to make sure no build up, MEANT no build up! Products tried and tested are pictured below ....

Now it could be the central heating that adds to the dryness, However, my hair has alway been rather hydrophillic, (loves water, responds well to regular washing) but I suffer from slipomania! ( a manic amount of slippage!!) so I have to water sparingly.




I have used :

1. Africare
2. Paul Mitchell Awapuhi
3. JML Cactus (Jamaica mango and Lime)

I alternated shampoos to see which ones left my locs feeling moisturised. 

I shower without a cap and spritz with water, but my locks still look like this by the afternoon, especially on a warm day.

I carry my spray bottles everywhere I go.

This is my hair approximately 4.20pm on a warm afternoon,
I took this pic before a shower.

buttahflyV, a fellow blogger and now trainee consultant suggested the Sisterlocks brand moisturiser, but the number we are told to call just rings. I am at home this week so will try everyday to see if  I can get through :( ... but in the meantime, I read every spritz recipe and search blogs endlessly for suitable alternatives, all the products chosen have been recommended by various mature lockers ( fellow lockers who have been there and done that and shared solutions on LIU and blogs ;))

Today I retightened my locs, I started front left , did a few rows last night, then went to bed. This afternoon after doing all my duties, I started again, and devoted my whole day to myself :) It took a steady (when uninterupted) 6 to 8 hours ( with lots of breaks ) and i finished before 10.30 pm.

Ten FACTS about my hair type and locs.
1. I am not completely loc'd I would guess at 90% but I get a surprise if I wash my hair once a week ...

2. I had to have 2 tightening sessions (pushing down the loc to tighten them) , one in Feb and April, as my scalp is sensitive when I diy they slip easier from the root. I dont do a last rotation if its gonna hurt!)

3. Hence I only wash them bi-monthly, for the moment.I have tried once a week but only because I can diy and had my tool ready!

4. I only freestyle, because of all the above reasons.

5. I have a lot of curly ends, and one loc that is curly in the centre and loc'd at the end.

6. I have never used SL products as they are hard to get hold of.

7. JML is the best leave in condish for me, however, I am concerned because it is not clear liquid, and not sure if it will cause build up. However it has been excellent at moisturising my locs without feeling gummy.

8. I have one very long lock at the corner nape of my neck, it is the only one with signs of build up, it was first to loc at 4 months (or earlier)

9. I have a few locs that sre stubborn and loc'd at both ends but not the centre, some weaken and I had 2 or 3 break of at that point. A reason why I avoid unnecessary manipulation.

10. I DIY alternate months so that my consultant can reinstall any slippage.
and finally, I tried a suggestion off  a natural hair blog, I sprayed natures shine on my locs before shampoo. I shampood twice rinsing , rinsing, rinsing ... my locs came out moisturised and soft. I still have not added anything to my hair as I was retighting tonight (pics below), feels Ok. Well, Good Nite all, thank you for visiting.
 Nai xxx
,

5 comments:

anthia-ofo said...

Hey you're doing just fine. Where d'you get JML&Nature's shine? Ehnic shops?

Nai said...

Happy May bank holiday:))))

Yes hun, I went to Pak in Finsbury park, (On Victoria Line)
But, they do delivery now, let me get the link and post to your page, I tell you truly, when my hair needs a wash and just looks ugh, I use JML and it makes such a difference!

Bajan Lily said...

Come now N'joi - you can't leave the rest of us hanging like that: what's the link for Pak so we too can enjoy some home delivery!!! *grin*

I've been using fractionated coconut oil since September and am wondering whether my hair will hold for an olive oil deep conditioning session... I too have one extremely long loc.. i wonder where they come from?

oh and of course: CONGRATULATIONS!

Bajan Lily said...

ps - I just spent 30 mins or so on your site listening to your playlist. My son is congested and ratty, the baby just had her first vaccinations and is MISERABLE - but both of them calmed right down and listened to the worship music. Thank you for blessing me (again!!!)

xx

Nai said...

Heyy Bajan!
what can I say? That's the Power of worship, it brings peace...:)))
sooo glad you could use it!

Believe me when I tell you, thats how I run my classroom too!

(soooo wanna be in b'dos right now kmt LOL!!! its not funny)apparently that sea water is the best thing for our hair!

Gonna blog just for you! x