Stat

Sunday 27 April 2014

Sisterlocks: Using Alternative Products.

Hi everyone,
The purpose for writing a blog initially was to become a source and an example for other sisters who are considering locking their hair. Especially as I had very fine hair and could see clearly that most other bloggers had hair that was a lot fuller than my own (for numerous and varied reasons).

Fine Hair.


I did not inherit hair that was full and thick, my family are of varied mixed heritages. To boot I have a very tender scalp that cannot cope with too much manipulation. To add insult to injury I have used too many different straightening/relaxing techniques, no one product was better than the other, against my better judgement. I just wish all the information I have now, I had then!
However, true to the word, my latter hair days have proved greater than the former and I give thanks for the Sisterlock technique.I am fully aware that SisterLocks have developed their own products to be used in conjunction, but unfortunately, in London, I believe they are still a little hard to get hold of. There was a point that I knew of a distributer who was UK based, however that person may not be in that position any longer. I have to admit I have not contacted the SL headquarters to find out if there was another appointed person.
In the meantime ...   Alternatives.
My consultant originally recommended neutrogena T Gel shampoo which helped the locking process and protected against scalp issues at the same time. I used this initially in my first two years, but if you can all recall I get bored real easy and wanted to play with other shampoos ... I must say I did not jump on conditioners as my locks loved to bunch and unravel and I didn't want to upset Liz with a an Afro on my next Reti appointment!!!So I was known for my of love shampoo experimentation, mostly for shampoo that clarifies and leaves body to my SLs . Clarifying Shampoos for the most part are good for leaving the locks with volume and body.


Suave - a brand not sold readily in the UK ( asked my mum to purchase some on her last trip over here:) and I also found some on amazon and eBay.) was a brand recommended by a lot of lockers on the net. Was very good for deep cleansing locks and leaving it volumised. I am always researching - if not testing, I have found so many good products and where I have purchased and kept things, I have gone back to use them and found them great. In the early days some things did not seem to work, but as my locs matured I have found them very effective.
.




No comments: